How do I file a police report?

To file a report; you can call the non-emergency dispatch number at 706-370-4900 to have an officer come to your location, or you can come to the Police Services Center at 301 Jones Street and speak with an officer. To begin the report process electronically, click here.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

Reports written by Dalton Police Officers can be picked up at the Police Services Center located at 301 Jones Street, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Records Unit phone number is 706-278-9085, press 9 and ext 408. To electronically request a report be e-mailed or mailed to you, click here.

Reports written by Whitfield County Sheriff’s Officers or State Patrol Officers can be picked up at their respective offices.

How do I report an accident if an officer was not called?

Download the following form http://www.dds.ga.gov/docs/forms/Accident.pdf. This report is for your own personal use and should NOT be mailed to our agency.

Where can I pay a traffic citation or contest the citation?

Dalton Municipal Court is located at 535 Elm Street (behind the O’Reilly’s Auto Parts on Glenwood Avenue) and you can pay citations there. You can also appear in court at the date, time, and location listed on your citation to contest it.

You can also pay tickets online. For information on how, click here.

Citations written by Whitfield County Sheriff’s Officers or State Patrol Officers (within Whitfield County) are paid at Probate Court, located at the Whitfield County Courthouse on Crawford Street. Probate Court’s phone number is 706-275-7400.

How do I file a complaint regarding an officer?

Citizens may voice their concerns to any shift supervisor and they will be offered the opportunity to complete the Citizen Complaint and Inquiry Form.  Fill in and mail or hand deliver to any employee of the Police Department.  It is the policy of the Dalton Police Department to investigate all complaints of alleged misconduct and to equitably determine whether the allegations are valid or invalid and to take appropriate action.

The Dalton Police Department is vitally interested in the welfare of all citizens and in taking action where its employees have proven deelict in their duties or are guilty of wrong doing.  If it becomes necessary for you to make a complaint, you can be assured it will be given a fair and thorough investigation.

By the same token, if you have an occasion to see a police employee doing outstanding work, we encourage you to tell the employee or us about it.  The Dalton Police Department is comprised of professionals dedicated to serving you.

What is a complaint?
How to file a complaint
If complaint is substantiated
If complaint is not substantiated

How do I apply to become an officer with the Dalton Police Department?

To become an officer with the DPD you must be at least 21 years old and have at least a high school diploma or a GED. To learn more about the requirements to apply, download an application, and learn more about the selection process click here to visit the DPD recruiting page. You can also call DPD Recruiting Officer Brandon Daugherty at 706-278-9085, extension 282.

Is there a curfew for juveniles in Dalton?

Yes. Article VI Section 74-333 in the Dalton Code of Ordinances states that it is unlawful for anyone under the age of 18 to loiter, wander, stroll, or play in or upon the streets, highways, roads, alleys, parks, playgrounds or other public grounds, or to remain in establishments, public buildings, places of amusement, eating places, vacant lots, or any other public place in the city unsupervised by an adult, parent, or guardian having the lawful authority to be at such places, between the hours of 11:59 p.m. on any day until 6:00 a.m. on the following day. There are several exceptions to the ordinance which can be found by clicking here.

Does the DPD check child safety seats?

Yes, the department has several officers certified as child restraint technicians. Call (706) 278-9085, press 9 and ext 120 to set up an appointment. Please call ahead of time, due to the variety of the officers’ schedules.

You may also contact the Dalton Fire Department at 706-278-7363 or the Whitfield County Health Center at 706-272-2446.

How can I report a traffic-related issue in my neighborhood?

The Traffic Unit routinely responds to citizen’s traffic concerns. You can contact them by phone at 706-278-9085, press 9 and ext 124, to submit a request.

What are the Dalton Police Department Explorers and how can a teenager join?

The Explorer Program is for ages 14 – 20.

The Law Enforcement Explorer Program allows young men and women to gain training and experience in the law enforcement field. The program also provides opportunities for community involvement and development. Program activities center around law enforcement training, organized recreational activities and competitive events. Police Officer 1st Class David Saylors currently oversees the program.

To be eligible for the program, an applicant:

Must be between 14 and 20 years old
Must maintain at least a “C” average, and must remain enrolled in school until graduation or earn a GED
Must attend regularly scheduled meetings, including physical training
To apply to become a Dalton Police Explorer, download a PDF copy of the application. Fill out the application and send it to:

PFC David Saylors
Dalton Police Department
301 Jones Street
Dalton, GA 30720
You can also FAX a copy of the application to the attention of  PFC Saylors at 706-217-2075.Applications are accepted until February. The new group of Dalton Police Explorers will begin meeting in March.

What is the Citizens Police Academy?

The Dalton Police Department conducts an Adult Citizens’ Police Academy once a year.

Adult Citizens’ Police Academy (21 years of age and older)

The Citizens’ Police Academy is a group of Dalton citizens who are interested in learning more about how their police department operates and the policing challenges our city faces. Participants in each session commit to meeting for three hours one night per week, for ten weeks, to learn about each aspect of the department.

The purpose of the Dalton Police Citizens’ Academy is to develop positive relations between the police and community through education. The goals are to create a growing nucleus of responsible, well-informed citizens who have the potential of influencing public opinions about police practices and services. Citizens will gain an appreciation of the problems and challenges facing law enforcement and have an opportunity to offer comments and ideas regarding solutions.

Subjects covered during the academy are as follows: History of the Dalton Police Department, Youth Issues, Firearms Polices/Use of Force, Patrol Division, Search and Seizure/Laws of Arrest, Department Tour, Observer Ride-a-longs with Officers, Criminal Investigations, Gang Problems, Motor Vehicle Enforcement, Communications Division, Items of interest to participants. These are just a few of the subjects covered.

To participate in the academy, you must be a resident of the city of Dalton, business owner in town, or otherwise have a vested interest in the city, be 21 years of age, and a United States citizen. Participants will be chosen at the discretion of the Chief of Police and will represent a cross section of the community. There is no fee.

The next Citizens’ Academy is tentatively set for February 2016.  For more information, call Alethea Brown at 706-278-9085, press 9 and ext 109 or by e-mail at abrown@cityofdalton-ga.gov. 

Click here to submit your application online.

Click here to download and print the application form.

Does the Dalton Police Department offer "ride alongs" to citizens?

Yes, the Dalton Police Department has a Ride Along program. Click here to download the application form and return to the Patrol Division; you will need to provide a valid picture ID.

Guidelines for riding are:

1. You must complete a waiver application and submit it to the patrol secretary or the Shift Sergeant for approval at least 24 hours in advance.

2. Persons that will not be allowed to ride are; persons with known felony convictions or mental incompetents, persons with medical problems, or other persons disqualified by the Chief of Police.

3. Prospective ride-along observers will be the subject of a criminal history check through department files and GCIC.

4. In every case, the needs of the department and availability of resources will determine whether a request to ride as an observer is approved.

5. If the program participant interferes with operations or police actions, the officer will return him/her to the Police Services Center and advise the supervisor of the circumstances.

6. All program participants are required to reflect a neat and clean appearance and are expected to pay for their own meals and refreshments.

7. Participants are not to carry a firearm while riding along, unless they are a certified Georgia peace officer in good standing.

8. Participants are limited to periods of eight hours per ride-along, and no more than three ride-alongs per year, unless otherwise authorized by the watch commander.

9. Participants under the age of 18 are only allowed to ride through a school approved program.

Where can I get a Taxi Permit?

Taxi permits are only issued on Thursdays, from 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. You will need to come in to the Police Services Center to fill out the application and pay the $25.00 application fee, prior to Thursdays, to allow time to process your application. You will have to provide a valid drivers license and one other document; birth certificate, employment authorization card, or resident alien card. If you have questions, you may call 706-278-9085, press 9 and ext 176.

Click here for more information on city ordinances.

How can I report suspicious activity or a crime tip?

Anyone with information about potential drug or criminal activity can pass this information on to the police department at anytime.

The Tip Line can be reached 24 hours a day by dialing 706-278-9085 press 9 and ext 221. The caller will receive a brief message that will outline what information is needed.

The person’s call will be answered by an automated voice mail system and will allow the individual to give information in an anonymous manner. Or, the person can give his or her name and phone number if they wish to be contacted at a later time by an officer.

Callers can leave as much information as they wish, but specific details such as a suspect or victim’s name, vehicle type, tag numbers, other names or residence information will be helpful in investigating the crime. In addition to the information above, information about drug activity and the type of drug being used or sold is very important.

We value your input in our efforts to reduce or prevent criminal activity in our community. All tips will be looked at and pursued if warranted. Meaningless messages, gibberish, and issues that are beyond our control will not be processed.

To submit your information electronically, click Tip Line.

How can I get my driver’s license reinstated?

For all driver license issues, you must contact the GA Department of Drivers Services at 235 Wagner Road in Dalton (off the South Bypass) or call 706-272-2272 or 706-278-2388 for information. The office is open Tuesday – Friday, from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturday, from 8 a.m. – 12 noon. 

Parent / Teen Driving Guide

Motorcycle Operators Manual

2014 Driver’s Manual

How can I obtain a background check?

You will need to come to the Dalton Police Department’s Records Unit to request a background check. You will have to sign a consent form and provide a picture ID. Processing time is one day for a local background and up to three days for the state background. The charge is $15.00 for a state check and $15.00 for a local check, and we only accept cash.

How can I get a charge removed from my record?

Expungement is the process by which you may be able to have a charge removed from your record. For more information on expungements, call 706-278-9085, press 9 and ext 408.


Call us from 8-5 (Monday-Friday)   Contact Number    





Check out the numbers for our units and divisions for more information